We are excited here at Curious Minds for our new weekly event…Dr. Curious Lab!
Every Thursday from 4:00-4:45 pm school age kids can participate in a special STEAM project at Curious Minds. There is no extra cost to participate and children are required to have a guardian at the museum during the event. Any age is welcome to participate but, younger children may require adults help to complete.
Check out our Dr. Curious Lab Page to see what project we will be doing each week.
Missed our first week of experiments, try this one at home.
- Glass of water
- Write your prediction down on how many drops of water you can put on a penny.
- Using dropper slowly place one drop at a time in the center of the penny until it cannot hold any more droplets. Make sure to count your drops.
- Record you results.
Why??? The penny can hold more water due to surface tension. Surface tension the cohesive forces of liquid molecules. Water molecules on the surface cohere strongly to the other water molecules causing a strong bond along the surface of the water.
Our Christmas Science camp was small but packed full of fun. Campers created crystal candy canes, binary ornaments, holiday light circuit, gumdrop tree, new sled for Santa and Rudolph slime.
Registration for next weeks camp, Winter Camp-in, is closed.
CMDZ will continue to have regular hours with the exception of the following dates:
When you shop at smile.amazon.com, Amazon donates to Curious Minds Discovery Zone.
Go to smile.amazon
Curious Minds is very excited to be working with Parsons Area Community Foundation for the upcoming event “Giving Tuesday”.
Match Day on Giving Tuesday, November 29, 2016, holds incredible opportunity for Curious Minds Discovery Zone. On that day, the Parsons Area Community Foundation will match donations made to our endowment fund—our long term savings.
Donations will allow Curious Minds to continue operation, providing a safe and fun location for children to explore and be creative. It will also allow us the security for future funds to improve and add new and exciting exhibits thereby making each visit to the museum fresh, offering varying educational experiences for children in our area.
Here’s how it works:
- Come to the event and make a donation
Date: Tuesday November 29
Time: 7 a.m. – 7 p.m.
Place: Wall Family Center, 2605 Main, Parsons
(You may also donate online at parsonsareacf.org, or mail a check to PACF, PO Box 894, Parsons, KS 67357. Envelopes must be postmarked November 28-30 to be eligible for the match)
- A $30,000 match pool will be divided between the participating organizations in proportion to the total amount raised. 100% of your donation PLUS the match amount will be placed in our organization’s fund. There will be additional monetary incentives given to the organizations receiving the greatest amount and number of contributions.
- Refreshments will be provided at the Wall Family Center and we invite you to come in person for an UNselfie picture, holding the enclosed form telling why you give.
- There is no minimum donation required; however matching funds will only be awarded for donations up to $2500.
- Cash, credit cards and checks made payable to Parsons Area Community Foundation will be accepted. Receipts will be given on-site, or mailed as needed.
- Donations are tax deductible and may be divided among multiple organizations.
For more information contact Curious Minds or visit PACF website.
We had a great time at the “CMDZ Witches Tea” on Sunday. The kids were creative making their witch hats and wands. They enjoyed playing ring toss and pumpkin rolling games and then put there potion making skills to the test stirring up some potions and creating their own worms. They finished the event drinking some witches brew and enjoying some sweet snacks.
Thanks to all our witches and wizards that attended!
Come join us for a wicked good time! Kids will participate in activities that will include decorating a witch hat, broom races, and cackling contest. Then we will sit down for some fiendish foods and divine drinks. Check out our Witches Tea Event Page for more details.
We are excited for our next Pinterest Party. At this party we will be creating fabric pumpkins in three different sizes and a cheesecloth ghost. I will have an assortment of colored fabric for you to choose from for you pumpkins. If you have a specific color, let me know in advance so that I can get it picked up. You will enjoy a night of crafting and adult conversation and it would not be a Pinterest Party without some good food to enjoy. Check out all the details on our Pinterest Events Page!
CMDZ would like to thank everyone who helped make our annual “Night of Discovery” fundraiser a success. Because of the generosity of this community CMDZ is able to continue our mission to encourage hands-on creativity, experimentation, and problem-solving development within a safe and fun environment.